Friday 13 January 2012

Always look on the bright side of Life!

Life is a complicated and ever changing system. I cannot claim to understand this system or even understand why it is that we exist in the first place. However I am of the belief that as human beings, we are a collection of thoughts and experiences. Logically, these thoughts and experiences will neither be entirely terrible or wonderful. Whether an individual has an excess of good or bad experiences is not necessarily the most important question. The question to ask is whether you will give up or persevere through the tough times. 

The past year has perhaps been the greatest time of difficulty in my life. When things began to go horribly wrong, I was quite ready to throw in the towel and just walk away from it all. However, as time went on, life began to improve in marginal ways. I realized that I didn’t have to let a time of difficulty destroy my future. Instead, I learned from my situation and used it to improve upon myself. It wasn’t so much a change in the quality of my life, but a change in my attitude towards the world. I began to like myself and accept what had once bogged me down.  

The past has the ability to act as a great weight, anchoring a person in place. For a long time I was trapped underneath my own metaphorical anchor, refusing to look to anyone else for help or guidance. Quite simply, I was being a child about my life situation and was only further victimizing myself. Sometimes in life it takes great hardship to show a person precisely what they are capable of. As ridiculous as it sounds, sometimes one must hit rock bottom before they can swim back to the surface.
           
            I cannot claim to have the answers to the problems life may throw your way. I still don't have the answers for my own problems. Monty Python attempted to teach me a lesson in living several years ago that I have finally taken to heart. "Some things in life are bad. They can really make you mad. Others just make you swear and curse. When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle. And this'll help things turn out for the best... And always look on the bright side of life..." Though this song was made in the name of comedy, it has a simple truth that we could all learn to live by. Always look on the bright side of life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment